Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has purchased 21 acres in Hawaii on the island of Oahu to build a luxury family resort that will be located at the picturesque Ko Olina Resort & Marina. Located on the western side of Oahu known for its sweeping ocean views, white sand beaches, and tranquil crystal blue lagoons.
Ka Olina Family Resort
Disney’s interest in Hawaii began years ago in the company’s infancy, when founder Walt Disney created the animated short Hawaiian Holiday and Disneyland’s Hawaiian themed Enchanted Tiki Room attraction, which debuted in 1963 and established the Audio-Animatronics art form. More recently, Disney opened Disney’s Polynesian Resort at the Walt Disney World Resort. Walt Disney Pictures continued the Hawaiian legacy in 2002 with the hit animated film Lilo & Stitch, an original story about a Hawaiian girl who tames a seemingly untamable alien by teaching the meaning of “ohana,” the Hawaiian tradition of family. The Walt Disney Company also does extensive film work in Hawaii, including on-location production for the hit ABC series Lost. The feature film Pearl Harbor was also shot on location in Oahu.
- Hawaii has been among the most popular Disney Vacation Club member getaway locations beyond our theme parks.
- Hawaii is the No. 1 domestic destination choice among prospective timeshare buyers.
- Beach vacations are the No. 1 most popular trips for families when not visiting friends and relatives, and Hawaii
- is the second most popular destination (after Florida) generating top of mind interest.
- Hawaii is one of the leaders in terms of hotel occupancy (80% versus 71% for total Orlando and 63% for the
- U.S. average), and commands significant length of stay (average of over 9 days).
Disney Vacation Club
Part of the Disney resort in Ko Olina will be dedicated to Disney Vacation Club, a vacation-ownership program that helps families enjoy flexibility and savings on vacations for decades to come. By purchasing a real estate interest in a Disney Vacation Club resort, families enjoy flexible vacations at Disney destinations worldwide as well as more than 500 other popular Member Getaways vacation locations around the globe.
Disney’s Vacation Club Properties include the following seven luxurious resorts:
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Vero Beach Resort
- Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort
Wrapping it up
Combining the heavenly paradise of Hawaii with the premier destination tourism and entertainment genius of the Walt Disney Co. is sure to create a remarkable resort.