This past weekend was the start of Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We ventured over Saturday morning only to get rained out, so we headed over to the ESPN Club for some lunch. It is a convenient place to have a bite to eat and watch some of the games they have playing constantly – even in the bathrooms.
The menu at the restaurant is what you would expect from a sports bar, but the quality was a little better than you might get at your local pub.
I had not been to the restaurant in a few years, so it was good to check out what is happening at one of the more popular spots on the boardwalk. While deciding what to have, I was tempted by the new Philly Cheese Steak (encouraged by a few tweeps via Twitter before ordering) but having lived in Philadelphia for years I am somewhat picky about my cheese steaks.
Once I learned they serve it on a hot dog bun I went with my next choice, a Reuben. It came on some great bread, although I think it might have been microwaved since the crust was as hard as cement. I chose a nice cucumber salad for the side and was not disappointed.
My wife ordered the turkey and brie sandwich which sounded nice. The brie, however, is a spread and not really what she had expected and the cranberry mayonnaise was a bit of a mismatch in our opinion for the sandwich. On the side she chose the home-made barbecue potato chips were quite nice with a combination of cinammon and cayenne pepper.
Finally, my daughter ordered the angus chuck burger, which I guessed would be the best item on the table – I was right. Cooked to ordered and topped with cheese and bacon, the burger was exceptional.
- Red Wings – We know you’ve never had ‘em this good! Medium, Hot, Flame, Teriyaki, or Barbecue served with Celery and Blue Cheese Dressing 11.49
- Black Bean and Spinach Dip – served with Tortilla Chips 8.49
- ESPN Dingers – Chicken Breast Nuggets tossed in Medium, Hot, Flame, Teriyaki, or Barbecue Sauce served with Celery and Blue Cheese Dressing 8.99
- Sideline Fries 4.99
- Macho Nachos For Two – Crispy Corn Tortilla Chips piled high and topped with spicy Ground Beef, Cheddar Sauce, Pico de Gallo, Sour Cream, and Sliced Jalapeños 9.99
- Patriot Clam Chowder – Thick, Cream-based Chowder loaded with hearty Clams and Potatoes accompanied by Oyster Crackers 6.99
- “Boo-Yeah” Chili – Tender chunks of Sirloin, Freshly Ground Beef, Sweet Peppers, and Vine-ripened Tomatoes simmered in some secret infusions 6.49
Sampling of Entrees
- Asian Chicken Salad – Asian Greens, Oven-roasted Chicken, Mandarin Oranges, Snow Peas, and Carrots served with Asian Vinaigrette and Won Ton Crisps 12.99
- Caesar Salad with Chicken – Crisp Romaine Hearts and Garlic Croutons tossed in classic Caesar Dressing with Chilled Grilled Chicken Breast 12.99
- Upper Deck Hot Roast Beef and Cheese – Thinly Sliced Roast Beef topped with Melted Swiss Cheese and Horseradish Sauce on a Freshly Baked Roll served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 11.99
- Cuban Burger – Angus Chuck Burger topped with Dijonaise Sauce, Shaved Ham, Swiss, and Pickle Chips served with your choice of Cucumber Salad or French Fries 11.99
- The Angus Chuck Burger – topped with Cheddar and Bacon on a Freshly Baked Roll served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 11.99
- Tailgate Pulled Pork – Slow-roasted Pork Shoulder served with a choice of Sweet ‘n Tangy or Southern-style Mustard Barbecue Sauce, Coleslaw and your choice of Cucumber Salad or French Fries 10.49
- Home Run Hot Dog – served on a Freshly Baked Bun with Chili, Shredded Cheddar, and Chopped Onion served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 9.99
- Vegetable Sandwich – with Chilled Grilled Zucchini, Onion, and Portobello Mushroom with Greens, Tomatoes, and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus on Multigrain Bread served with Cucumber Salad or ESPN Chips 9.99
- Championship Chicken Sandwich – Grilled Chicken Breast with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto, Greens, and Goat Cheese on Rosemary Focaccia served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 13.49
- The Salmon “Club House” BLT Sandwich – Fresh Grilled Salmon Fillet served on a Freshly Baked Roll topped with Arugula, Tomato, crispy Bacon, and Garlic Aïoli with your choice of Cucumber Salad or French Fries 14.49
- Half Rack ’em-Ribs with the Fixins – Ribs with Sweet ‘n Tangy Barbecue Sauce served with Coleslaw, Corn on the Cob, and your choice of Cucumber Salad or French Fries 14.99
- Fish on the Bun Sandwich – Fresh Grilled Mahi Mahi on a Freshly Baked Whole-Grain Roll served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 14.49
- ESPN Dinger Sandwich – our famous Breaded Chicken Breast tossed in a Medium Sauce served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 10.49
- Triple Play Turkey and Brie Sandwich – Turkey, Brie, Greens, and Cranberry Mayonnaise on Multigrain Bread served with Cucumber Salad or ESPN Chips 11.49
- Extreme Reuben Sandwich – Thinly Sliced Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, and our special Dressing piled high and grilled on Thickly Sliced Rye served with Cucumber Salad or French Fries 10.49
Wrapping it up
Although I was sad to not spend the day as planned at Star Wars Weekends, a visit to the ESPN Club was a nice way to watch the rain and have some good food with my family. The menu above is only a sample, as I mentioned above they have added the Philly Cheese Steak and some other items to the menu, so check out the latest offerings when you get to the club.
They also offer a full bar with a couple of standard beers on tap and a modicum more in bottles. If you are looking to beat the heat, avoid the rain, or just sit in the air-conditioned comfort in the summer days ahead, the ESPN Club is a good bet.