London will host a traditional Dickensian Christmas with a little Disney magic this holiday season as Jim Carrey, Colin Firth, Robin Wright Penn, Bob Hoskins and Academy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Zemeckis come together to celebrate the World Premiere of “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” on November 3, 2009. The festivities include a history-making coordinated Christmas Lights Switch-On: for the first time ever, the world famous Christmas Lights on Regent and Oxford Streets, plus the festivities in The City of London – at the very heart of Dickensian London – will share the same theme of “Disney’s A Christmas Carol.”
The World Premiere of the fantasy adventure film will take place at London’s Leicester Square, utilizing three cinemas to create the biggest-ever 3D premiere. Filmmakers and the stars from “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” will be on hand for the red-carpet celebration and subsequent film screening. The World Premiere is in support of the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children; Dickens was a founding patron of the facility. As part of its continued efforts on behalf of the hospital, The Walt Disney Company will be making a donation.
In the spirit of Charles Dickens himself, we’re bringing together three of London’s richest holiday traditions in an unprecedented city-wide–or rather a worldwide–celebration. We’re expecting record-breaking attendance at the festivities, which will launch the holiday season, showcase our movie and celebrate the writer who, with the publication of ‘A Christmas Carol’ in 1843, virtually reinvented Christmas.
Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios
- Regent Street, Oxford Street and The City of London will each be decked out with decor, live entertainers and holiday spirit–all themed to “Disney’s A Christmas Carol.”
- Jim Carrey, Colin Firth, Robin Wright Penn, Bob Hoskins and director Robert Zemeckis will take part in the celebration.
- Leicester Square will be bursting with its own holiday spirit, complete with Christmas carolers in period costumes, falling snow, live entertainment and several giant screens, allowing onlookers to witness each switch-on as it happens.
- The World Premiere will take place simultaneously in three theaters in Leicester Square: Odeon Leicester Square, Empire and Odeon West End, welcoming an audience of more than 4,000.
- Tickets to the World Premiere will be on sale Sept. 14 at www.londonschristmascarol.com.
- The World Premiere is in support of the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children; Dickens was a founding patron of the facility. As part of its continued efforts on behalf of the hospital, The Walt Disney Company will be making a donation.
- The Regent Street Christmas lights were first launched in 1954.
- This year will mark the 50th Anniversary of the Oxford Street Christmas Lights.
About the Movie
“Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” a multi-sensory thrill ride re-envisioned by Academy Award(R)-winning filmmaker Robert Zemeckis, captures the fantastical essence of the classic Dickens tale in a groundbreaking 3D motion picture event.
Ebenezer Scrooge (Jim Carrey) begins the Christmas holiday with his usual miserly contempt, barking at his faithful clerk (Gary Oldman) and his cheery nephew (Colin Firth). But when the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come take him on an eye-opening journey revealing truths Old Scrooge is reluctant to face, he must open his heart to undo years of ill will before it’s too late.