Disney excitement of all kinds – from under the sea, to down Main Street, U.S.A., and to a galaxy far, far away – arrives at Disneyland Resort in summer 2011. Several highly anticipated attractions and entertainment experiences will make their debuts, enhancing all the fun and adventure that create memories for guests throughout the year at the Disneyland Resort. Highlights of this Soundsational Summer include the latest milestone in the expansion of Disney California Adventure park, The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, plus the sensational new 3D excursions of Star Tours and the exciting new “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” in Disneyland park.
- The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure – The adventures of Ariel will unfold in colorful scenes filled with Audio-Animatronics characters and memorable music from the Disney animated motion picture hit “The Little Mermaid” when this modern version of the classic Disney “dark ride” premieres in Disney California Adventure on Friday, June 3. The attraction brings the popular motion picture to life in magnificent scenes where guests will sing along with Sebastian and friends, keep an eye out for the evil Ursula, and experience the romance of Ariel and Eric. Special effects will transport guests “under the sea,” taking them into Ariel’s world in ways never before seen.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – Guests will never know where the Force might take them as they embark on thrilling new Star Tours journeys, now enhanced with the breathtaking immersion of 3D. Premiering Friday, June 3, in Disneyland Tomorrowland, the new journeys will feature more than 50 different story combinations, bridging that “long, long time ago” between the two “Star Wars” trilogies. At the bustling new Spaceport where droids run the show and excursions to the stars are advertised overhead, eager travelers will board fully reimagined Starspeeders for interstellar treks to Coruscant, Hoth, Naboo and many more destinations in the “Star Wars” galaxy. In the course of their adventures, voyagers will encounter characters from the “Star Wars” movies, some of them making their first appearances in the refreshed attraction.
- “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” – Explosions of dynamic rhythm and bold percussion will accompany beloved Disney characters as they stomp and strut along Main Street, U.S.A., in the new “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade,” premiering Friday, May 27. The parade brings characters and melodies from Disney films to life with a syncopated drum line, flashing cymbals and more than 90 performers, as Mickey Mouse and his pals get the Disneyland crowd into the beat of this giant jam session. “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” features nine parade floats, each designed in the style of a children’s “pop-up” storybook with eye-catching visuals and whimsical details.
Also at Disneyland:
- “Magical” Fireworks Spectacular – Tinker Bell and Dumbo will take to the air over Sleeping Beauty Castle as the “Magical” fireworks spectacular returns for its third consecutive summer. Tink waves her wand to awaken a pyrotechnic spectacular inspired by Disney’s most magical characters, including Pinocchio, Mary Poppins, Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother, and the Three Good Fairies from “Sleeping Beauty.” Dumbo makes a “Magical” summer appearance, too, as the enchanting storytelling of a fireworks show creates memories for guests of the Disneyland Resort.
Also at Disney California Adventure:
- Goofy’s Sky School – Joining the fun along Paradise Pier beginning June 3, this coaster attraction is inspired by the classic Goofy “How-to” shorts of the 1940s and 1950s as well as the cartoon short “Goofy’s Glider.” The theme is a flying academy with your pal Goofy as the wacky instructor. Guests will enjoy all the dips, twists and thrills as Goofy tries to teach a group of novice pilots how to soar through the sky.
- “Disney Junior – Live on Stage!” – “Jake and the Never Land Pirates” are now appearing at Disney California Adventure as part of “Disney Junior – Live on Stage!” – a theme park show that is a favorite of young guests. Co-starring in the production are characters from “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,” “Handy Manny” and “Little Einsteins” – other shows that are part of the Disney Junior schedule on Disney Channel. Children and families are invited to dance and sing along as “Disney Junior–Live on Stage!” is presented several times daily.
- Paradise Pier – New restaurants, shops and attractions will open this summer as Paradise Pier completes its transformation into a vintage beachside playland. New dining locations will include Paradise Garden Grill and Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. The popular Corn Dog Castle returns, along with Seaside Souvenirs (formerly Souvenir 66), a restyled merchandise location. These additions will be adjacent to the new Goofy’s Sky School and Little Mermaid attractions.
- “World of Color” – The award-winning “World of Color” water spectacular continues for a second summer of nightly performances on Paradise Bay. The show combines nearly 1,200 versatile, performing fountains, popular Disney music and a kaleidoscope of audio and visual effects, including both classic and new animation projected on giant screens of water. “World of Color” floods the senses and takes the audience on an imaginative, emotional journey into the colorful worlds of Disney classics such as “The Lion King” and “The Little Mermaid” along with Disney?Pixar films including “Toy Story” and “Finding Nemo.”
- “ElecTRONica” – The party on “The Grid,” inspired by the Disney movie, “TRON: Legacy,” will continue nightly throughout the summer. “ElecTRONica” features music, live performances and interactive experiences, and it has become the place to dance the night away. Inspired by the computer-world environment of “TRON: Legacy,” ElecTRONica comes to life in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. DJs keep the energy going with electronic party music while dancers costumed as “Sirens” and “Programs” from the movie rock out at locations throughout the party.