It is live. The news has broken and it is officially D23 The Official Community for Disney fans. News is starting to roll, although my local bookstore does not have the official magazine, and there are already items available, and memberships for sale, on Disney Shopping.
So What is D23?
It is the official community for those of us who are Disneyana fans. To quote directly from the source:
D23 is “The Official Community for Disney Fans” — the first of its kind in the Company’s 85-year history. From our enchanting theme parks to our legendary animation studio, Disney is known for having a deep-rooted respect for the wonderful legacy we’ve built through the years and the creativity that continues to take us to new heights. But one of the most important parts of that fantastic legacy is our fans. To thank all of our fans, we have created D23 with its one-of-a-kind experiences, special events, collectibles, quarterly publication, Web site, and opportunities to meet others who share the same affection and fascination for Disney. D23 offers fans an insider peek at every corner of Disney, from the Parks, animation and stage shows to television and film to the treasures of the legendary Walt Disney Archives.
Membership costs $74.99 a year and anyone who joins in 2009 will be considered a charter member and can be purchased directly at Disney Shopping. Membership includes these benefits:
- Disney ”twenty-three” Quarterly Publication: A one-year subscription (four issues) to D23’s exquisite collectible magazine, filled with stunning photography, dazzling illustrations and the ultimate Disney insider perspective. It’s your all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney’s past, present and future!
- Membership Card and Certificate: Your membership card and personalized, suitable-for-framing charter member certificate feature many of Disney’s most beloved characters drawn by Disney Master Artist David Pacheco.
- Surprise Collectible Gift: A collectible just for D23 members. You’ll receive a gift you’ll cherish from the new Walt Disney Archives Collection.
- Exclusive Special Events and Merchandise: D23 offers its members unique special-event opportunities throughout the year, as well as access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles.
- D23 Expo: It’s the ultimate Disney fan experience, taking place in Anaheim, California from September 10-13, 2009. This can’t-miss event will feature guest speakers, celebrity appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, sneak peeks, film screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and so much more! Admission will be discounted for D23 members.
- Subscription to bi-weekly D23 FanFare e-newsletter with breaking news and special offers. (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)
There will also be an expo
It has been years since there was an official Disneyana Convention; I should know, my department used to be part of the production for the events when I was at Disney, and you will be happy to know there will be an expo later this year in concert with D23. The event will take place at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California (across the street from Disneyland), September 10-13, 2009. Tickets will be reduced for D23 members and the pricing has been announced:
- Adult 1-day $37
- Child 1-day $27
- Child 4-day $81 (4th day free)
D23 Member Admission (D23 members may purchase up to four discounted tickets per membership):
- Adult 1-day $30
- Adult 4-day $90 (4th day free)
- Child 1-day $22
- Child 4-day $66 (4th day free)
Wrapping it up
So it seems that the leaked news was spot on and we have another wonderful way to experience the Disney magic. I will be anxious to see all of the materials once the membership packet arrives.