Innoventions has always been a section of the park that has been hard to categorize. Is it entertainment? Is it education? Is it advocacy? Actually, Innoventions in Future World at Epcot can be all of those things and more.
New Exhibit from Raytheon
The exhibit, set to open fall 2009, will engage children through a fun and educational experience that helps instill a lifelong passion for math, science and technology. The Sum of All Thrills will be a core component of Raytheon’s MathMovesU program, an initiative designed to engage middle school students in math and science, and help create the next generation of innovators for the U.S. It will be located in the Innoventions’ pavilion at Epcot, a unique area of the park that contains 100,000 square feet of interactive, hands-on exhibits that allow visitors to celebrate the inspiration and innovation that improve their lives and expand their horizons.
In addition to the experience at Innoventions, Raytheon will be supporting another 2009 initiative at the Walt Disney World Resort – the 2009 Raytheon MATHCOUNTS National Competition. Taking place May 7-10, 2009, at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort, the competition is the culmination of an enrichment and coaching program that promotes middle school mathematics achievement in every U.S. state and territory. Raytheon is the title sponsor of the MATHCOUNTS National Competition for the next three years, through 2011.
Innoventions East and West
Innoventions is home to interactive exhibits that allow guests to the park the ability to see tomorrow’s technology today. Innoventions is divided into two parts that flank Future World: Innoventions West and Innoventions East.
Innoventions East exhibits include:
- Storm Struck: The Tale of Two Homes – Experience what it feels like to be in the perfect storm and discover ways to protect your home
- The House of Innoventions – Breakthrough technology brings online entertainment and other Internet content into everyday devices and appliances. Discover innovative products that provide that added comfort, security, convenience, entertainment and overall control to our homes and our lives.
- Don’t Waste It! – Play games that challenge you to recycle, reduce and reuse “virtual trash” to create alternate forms of energy that fuel our homes and our communities.
- Test the Limits Lab – Treat yourself to a safety test where you are invited to shatter, drop and impact some of the products Underwriters Laboratories—a non-profit, product safety organization—test every day
Innoventions West exhibits include:
- ThinkPlace – Visit Run Time where you can play in a different way. Put yourself in the game – become an avatar and run, jump, and dance your way through a video game.
- “Slapstick Studios” – Participate in a wacky game show and discover creative ways to solve problems. Visit the Creative Solutions Workshop and create your own masterpiece.
- Rockin’ Robots – Create your very own music with the help of 4 instrument-playing robots that you control
- Videogame Playground – Experience the latest in videogame technology as you compete against your favorite sports teams, challenge a villain to a duel or embark on a one-of-a-kind adventure with some of your favorite Disney Characters
- Segway Central – Discover the Segway, the world’s first self-balancing, electric-powered personal transporter
- Where’s the Fire? – Get your picture taken at the 30-foot pumper truck, become a Fire Chief by answering the most questions at the Burning Questions kiosks, and explore the most dangerous house in America in this fun exhibit promoting fire safety
Wrapping it Up
Innoventions is a great part of the park to get your hands on the latest technology from some of the world’s most innovative companies. It is also a nice way to beat the heat in the middle of the day and enjoy some nice air-conditioned entertainment. Raytheon’s new exhibiti, Sum of All Thrills, should be a great addition to the ever-changing dynamics of the Innoventions Pavilions.