Walt was a consummate innovator. Throughout his life he was always pushing the boundaries of entertainment, technology and perceptions. That heritage continues today at the Walt Disney World Resort and all around Disney’s World.
With each new attraction and guest service, Walt Disney World Resort fulfills the vision that Walt Disney himself had: to always find new ways to adapt leading-edge technology to more creatively tell stories and delight theme park visitors.
Known by his intimates and contemporaries as a restless thinker and tinkerer, Walt never lost the passion to innovate and take risks during the course of a lengthy and rewarding career — even in the face of an occasionally crushing failure.
I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination.
During Walt Disney’s lifetime, his rich imagination helped produce such pioneering achievements as synchronized sound in animation, the multiplane camera to add depth to the two-dimensional medium of cartoons, the first daily operating monorail in the United States, and the groundbreaking creation of Audio-Animatronics, the use of sophisticated mechanical engineering to animate figures in three dimensions with a breathtaking degree of realism.
Today, the expansive Florida resort that bears his name proudly carries on Walt Disney’s tradition of combining sophisticated technology with the storytelling prowess and guest service standards that have become a Disney hallmark worldwide.
Achievements at Walt Disney World Resort have included:
- FASTPASS, the computer system that eliminates the need to wait in long lines at popular attractions.
- Wireless personal translator units that supply synchronized creative narration in multiple languages at shows and attractions for guests with limited English fluency.
- Wireless handheld captioning units that deliver synchronized scripted text on backlit screens at popular attractions for guests with hearing disabilities.
- Turtle Talk With Crush an attraction in The Seas with Nemo & Friends pavilion at Epcot that uses digital projection and sophisticated, voice-activated animation so that guests can carry on live, unscripted conversations with the laid-back sea turtle from Disney•Pixar’s Finding Nemo.
- Mission: SPACE at Epcot, which combines centrifuge technology with a sophisticated virtual imaging system to deliver a pulse-racing trip to Mars aboard a sleek spacecraft inspired by real science.
Walt once said, “What is needed in addition to the creative ability is courage — courage to try new things to satisfy the endless curiosity of people for information about the world around them.”
And sometimes beyond.
(The original press release is written by WDW News and is © Copyright Disney).
Wrapping it up
I am amazed how much innovation you can see as you walk through the park. From the manner with which Disney moves massive amounts of people around their property to simulations that make you feel that you are traveling in space it is a masterful display of some great minds making the imaginary real.
What is more amazing is that which you do not see. The sheer amount of work that goes on behind the scenes at the parks and the dedicated men and women who continually push the limits to make the company more streamlined all in an effort to make a better experience for the guests in the park.